March 10, 2010

Magnificent Madeleines



The madeleine is a traditional cake from the Lorraine region in northeastern France. Madeleines are small sponge cakes with a distinctive shell-like shape acquired from being baked in pans with shell-shaped depressions. In order to make madeleines, you must have a molded pan which are found in any kitchen store for about $20 - $30. Pans can be found with a nonstick coating and I heartily recommend finding one. If using a nonstick pan, you can omit buttering and flouring the pan. Instead simply give it a light coating with a nonstick spray like Pam.

Traditional madeleine recipes include very finely ground nuts, usually almonds. A variation uses lemon zest and extract for a wonderful lemon flavor. This recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook.

Other than the special pan, and some patience while the batter rests, these cookies aren't too difficult to make. These are great for showers, or parties where you want to go upscale and impress your friends.

Rosewater Madeleines (makes approximately 20)

1 stick butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
scant 1/2 cup almond flour*
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon rosewater
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt

*Instead of almond flour, you may add 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of finely ground almonds to 1/2 cup flour

In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Set aside to cool. In a large bowl, whisk together flours and sugar; set aside.

Add rosewater to cooled butter. Stir to combine. In a large bowl, combine eggs and salt, whisking until frothy. Whish in flour mixture to combine. Fold butter into butter mixture. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, 2 hours or overnight.



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter madeleine pan, dust lightly with flour, tapping lightly on pan to remove excess flour. Fill each mold about halfway and bake, rotating pan(s) during baking until the edges are golden brown, about 12 to 14 minutes. Remove immediately to wire racks to cool. I found that using a rubber spatula and gently pressing on the cakes worked very well.

Madelines are best eaten the day they are made.


Variation: Lemon Madeleines

2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon pure lemon extract

Omit rosewater and add lemon zest and extract to melted butter.

Cookie Press Review


I have to confess that I may not have added the correct amount of flour but these turned out very well despite my possible mistake. I ground up almonds in my food processor, but may have forgotten to add the 1/2 cup flour. I will try again this weekend and this time I'll follow the directions more carefully. My tasters raved about these madeleines. They loved the almond flavor and the hint of rosewater. I think I'll try to add a full teaspoon of rosewater next time and see how that affects the taste.

I encourage you to bake and serve these the same day they are made. Otherwise, they lose a bit of their sponge-like texture and that would be a shame.

Cookie press rating: 3 1/2 cookies (out of five)

1 comment:

  1. Madeleine update: I tried the recipe again to make sure I had gotten the flour measurement correct. This time I made the lemon variation, except that I did not have any lemon extract so I used lemon juice. A word to the wise- never do this. They turned out too dense for my liking and did not brown evenly.

    ReplyDelete