February 28, 2010

Makin' Whoopie (Pies)


The snowy weather is getting me down. I'm lucky that I don't have to get out there with a shovel and strain my back lifting the heavy white stuff that seems to be falling every other day. Still though, putting on boots, a scarf, heavy jacket, gloves and a hat every time I go out is just plain tiresome. I long for the days when I can just go outside in a t-shirt and the only thing on my head is a pair of Ray Bans.

When the days are short and the weather is below freezing I love to make comfort food. But what's the equivalent of comfort food in terms of cookies? One could argue that all cookies are comfort food but I prefer to think there are some extra decadent cookies that get my endorphins going without the monotony of a treadmill. I think I found the ultimate comfort cookie in the Whoopie Pie.

Just the name puts a smile on my face. Whoopie! I did a google search and found an article in the N.Y. Times about the resurgence of the Whoopie Pie published just about this time last year. These cakey mounds of deliciousness are perfect with a tall glass of milk. The buttercream filling is so decadent it will make your blood vessels scream for a dose of Lipitor. But they are worth it. There will be time for exercise later, but for now, I'm all about the Whoopie Pie.

Whoopie Pies Recipe

I suggest making the pies a bit smaller since a few of mine came out very large and were difficult to handle. The mounds of batter spread in the oven, so be sure to leave enough room in between. Cool completely before filling with buttercream.

Instead of the suggested buttercream filling, I used a very simple recipe for buttercream as follows:

Simple Buttercream Filling


1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 T milk
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 t salt

In the bowl of a mixer, beat softened butter on low speed until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and salt and continue mixing for about two minutes. Add vanilla and milk and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Scrape down sides of bowl. If the filling is too thick, add milk, 1 teaspoon at a time. If the filling is too thin, add powdered sugar one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.

Let cookies cool completely before spreading a generous dollop of buttercream on one half and gently pressing another half on top. Store at room temperature for up to three days if they last that long.



Cookie Press Review
Wow. These are so decadent and delicious. I'm not even sure I would classify them as a cookie. These pies are more like the best cupcake I've ever had in my life. The sea salt adds just a hint of salty flavor while the chocolate cake combines with the buttercream to create a perfect storm of sweetness. This is one guilty pleasure in which I was glad to indulge.

Cookie press rating: 4 1/2 cookies (out of five)

2 comments:

  1. You must find a way to ship these to me in FLA so I can judge yours v. the best ones I have had in my life - the Corner Bakery Cafe franchise! Had them over the summer while visiting Chicago, and then again when I was in Denver at Thanksgiving. Go Crocker go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still shedding a tear at the memory of this creation. While it lived too short of a life, it was enjoyed tremendously.

    ReplyDelete