February 2, 2010

Madras Cookies



I've heard of curry in a hurry, but curry in a cookie is news to me. I like curry dishes when ordered at my favorite East Village restaurant, Banjara (on First and Sixth Streets). I figured it's time for me to try curry in a cookie so I headed for my cookie bible, Great Cookies, by cookie maven Carole Walter. This book is a must for the serious cookie baker. I'm suddenly inspired to bake my way through the book blogging all the way. Oh wait, that's been done before. Do you think Nora Ephron has any interest for a slightly sweeter version of Julie and Julia? I thought not.

And now, without further adieu, I bring you the recipe for Madras Cookies.

Madras Cookies

2 t mild curry powder
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unblanched almonds + additional for the top of each cookie
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1 c (2 sticks) butter, softened slightly
1 t grated orange zest from one orange
2/3 c sugar
2/3 c lightly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 t vanilla extract
1 c chopped sweetened, flaked coconut

Heat curry powder in a small skillet over low heat for 20 - 30 seconds until fragrant. Set aside to cool.

Place the flour, 1 cup almonds, curry powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse 10 times, then process for 1 minute until mixture is very finely chopped and cake-like. Set aside.

In the large bowl of an electric mixer, mix the butter and orange zest on medium-low speed until light and creamy. Add the sugar, then brown sugar and mix for about 12 minute. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.

Add the dry ingredients in three additions, mixing until just blended after each addition. Turn mixer off and fold in coconut. Chill dough for 20 - 30 minutes, or until firm enough to roll into balls.

Heat oven to 375 degrees and moderately butter cookie sheets. You can probably use parchment paper instead of greasing or buttering the cookie sheets.



Roll the dough to form 1/2 to 3/4 inch balls and place on sheets about 2 inches apart. Gently press a whole almond into the top of each cookie, using the heel of your hand to flatten the cookie slightly. Try pressing a few blanched, slivered almonds on top instead of a whole almond to vary the look.


Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. If baking 2 pans at once, be sure to rotate the pans from top to bottom, front to back. Let cookies cool on sheets for 2 or 3 minutes before removing cookies to cooling racks.

Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks or carefully wrapped and frozen.

Cookie Press Review

I have to admit that I expected to dislike these cookies. I was wrong. The cookies are uniquely flavorful without being overpowering. In fact, most of my tasters could not detect the curry until I told them. A few thought I was lying. Many tasted a slight orange and cinnamon flavor. Overall, the cookies were a surprise hit. I even keep a small tin in my desk drawer for a late afternoon snack.

Cookie press rating: 3 1/2 cookies (out of five)

1 comment:

  1. I, too, would be afraid to try these, but plan to give them a try. I must try the Ginger Creams also. This blog could be my diet Waterloo.

    ReplyDelete