July 28, 2010

Peanut Butter Cookies


WARNING: May contain peanuts.
This is a phrase that I see all the time now in the most obvious places. Yes, I understand that peanut butter cookies contain peanuts. I also understand that my peanut granola bar contains peanuts. That's why I bought it. I also know that my hot cup of coffee is hot. I don't need a disclaimer on the cup to tell me so. Before everyone gets crazy on me, I do understand that peanut allergies are serious and I do feel bad for anyone who can't have peanuts or who have serious food allergies.

Now to the cookies ...

I made these for my friend Karen, who is going through a rough time after recently losing her husband. Today I received a thank you note from Karen which said "You can bake! The cookies are fantastic." Funny. That's what I thought went I tasted them too. I sure hope they lift Karen's spirits.

This recipe comes from the America's Test Kitchen's Family Cookbook.

The key here is to supplement the peanut butter with real, salted dry roasted peanuts to create tons of peanut flavor. The other key is to make the cookies BIG! This helps them retain their chewiness. One cookie at a time is really all you need. These babies are filling. And with an ice cold glass of milk on a hot day, these are simply the best.

Peanut Butter Cookies

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar, gently packed
1 cup sugar
1 cup extra crunchy peanut butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup salted peanuts, chopped fine

Heat oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder together in a large bowl and set aside.

Beat butter and sugars together in a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes. Beat in peanut butter, about 30 seconds, scraping down sides of bowl.

Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add flour mixture until just combined, about 30 seconds. Mix in the chopped peanuts.

Roll dough to form balls using about 3 tablespoons of dough for each. Place on baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Using a fork dipped in cold water, gently press down on each ball twice to create the crosshatch pattern.

Bake until the edges are golden, 10 - 12 minutes. If baking more than one pan at a time, rotate pans halfway through baking.

Cool cookies on baking sheets for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Cookie press rating: 5 cookies (out of five)

No comments:

Post a Comment