August 5, 2010

Butterscotch Blondies





My sweet tooth was acting up last week so I decided to satisfy it with a fresh batch of Butterscotch Blondies. The butterscotch chips and brown sugar combine to make these on the sweet side. Some of you will find these to be to bit too sweet. In small doses I think they're quite good.

I decided to see what Wikipedia had to say about Blondies, but was disappointed to find no information as to the origin of these treats. The entry did explain that sometimes the bars contain white or chocolate chips, but that the dominant flavor comes from the brown sugar and often there is no butterscotch in them at all. Who knew? I guess I did learn something from the Wikipedia entry after all.

I'd love to hear your comments on these cookies. Please email me at: tleader @ nyc . rr . com . Close up all the spaces in the address so that it reads like a normal email address. I'm trying to outsmart the spammers who automatically collect email address from websites to feed their lists. You can also leave comments on the bottom of this entry.

Happy baking.

Butterscotch Blondies

1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 9 x 9 inch baking pan with foil and spray bottom only with cooking spray.

Mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, egg, egg yolk and vanilla.
Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a separate bowl, then stir them into the butter/sugar mixture. Stir in butterscotch chips.

Pour into pan. Rap pan on counter to remove air bubbles and bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. Cool in pan set on a wire rack.

Remove from pan when completely cool and cut into squares.

Cookie press rating: 3 cookies (out of 5)

1 comment:

  1. Tom, If these are the ones from the "red bible", I did make them and found them to be too sweet -- even for me who can eat a bag of marshmallows at one sitting. I think bittersweet chips might be a better choice.

    ReplyDelete