August 19, 2010

Chocolate-Marshmallow Treats



Even the thought of turning on my oven when the temps climb to over 90 degrees makes me start to sweat. Tiny droplets form on my upper lip and I feel like someone is holding a lit match to my skin.

Oppressively hot weather causes a problem for bakers since baking usually requires the oven to be on for periods of longer than twenty minutes. If you're baking a few batches of cookies or prefer to bake one sheet at a time like I do, your oven could be on for well over an hour which either means your A/C is working overtime or your kitchen temperature rises to something feeling like hell.

To combat the steamy kitchen syndrome, or SKS as I like to call it, I went in search of some no-bake cookie recipes. I found some on Martha's website and while I don't classify these as cookies, they will do in a pinch to satisfy a summer sweet tooth.

This recipe for Chocolate-Marshmallow Treats is prepared on the stove top using a single burner for about 6 - 7 minutes. The treats remind me of the Rice Krispie Treats I used to make as a kid, with Mom's help of course. Martha has kicked it up a notch by adding dutch-processed cocoa powder to the marshmallows and bittersweet chocolate on the top.

I liked these because I could really taste the deep chocolate flavor and they didn't seem overly sweet to me. Mike enjoyed them too, but he said the crisps looked like lentils. As usual, he's right. I couldn't get Rice Krispies at Whole Foods, so I substituted with the Whole Foods, 365 Organic brand of Brown Rice Crisps which do in fact resemble lentils.

Crispy Chocolate-Marshmallow Treats

6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 bag (10 1/2 ounces) mini-marshmallows
1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
6 cups crisp rice cereal
1 ounces bittersweet chocolate

Line bottom of and 8 or 9 inch square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang. If using foil, spray lightly with non-stick spray.

In a large saucepan (approx. 4 qt.) combine butter, marshmallows, and cocoa. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until melted, about 6 minutes. Sir in rice cereal. Press rice mixture into prepared pan. Wetting fingers with cold water will allow you to combat the stickiness of the marshmallows. Re-wet fingers as needed.

Drizzle with melted chocolate. Let cool to room temperature. Cut into 16 bars.

Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.

Variations:
Add 1/2 cup of dried fruit such as cranberries or cherries.
Crush up peppermint candies or add 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract.

Melting Marshmallows on the Stovetop















Cookie press rating: 3.5 cookies (out of 5)

Some other no-bake cookie recipes:

Peanut-Butter Granola Bars

Coconut-Pecan Cereal Bars

Coconut-Chocolate Patties

No comments:

Post a Comment