December 3, 2010

Annual Cookie Bake


Every year my BFF Laura and I get together for our annual cookie bake. The three day extravaganza takes place in Upstate New York and includes shopping, Christmas music on the radio, wine drinking, chatting, eating, and of course cookie baking. Lots and lots of cookie baking.

Over the past nine years we've experienced blizzards, ice storms, rain, and even balmy weather. One thing we can always count on is a good time that starts with us scheduling the date months in advance.

Laura and I have our lineup of favorite cookies to bake and we do a pre-weekend review of the cookie list and nix cookies that we are tired of and discuss trying new recipes. If Laura had her way we would make Spritz cookies by the dozens and a batch or two of Chocolate Chip Oatmeal which she swears are Christmas cookies. I challenge her on this every year. Turns out Laura's mom, Donna, made them around Christmas when Laura was young so that's why she thinks they are Christmas cookies. I still argue that they are not but I think this year I'll relent and we'll make a batch or two.

We started the baking tradition in 2001 and one of my fondest memories is Laura standing at the counter measuring the flour for the very first batch of cookies we ever made. I didn't notice at first that she was enthusiastically shoveling the flour into the measuring cup, packing it down with the back of a spoon as she chatted away. I turned and she could tell by my audible gasp that something was wrong. I think I blacked out for a second or two and I may have actually put my hand out to stop the pack down from happening. We laugh about it to this day. Well, I laugh about it. Truth is, Laura has become an excellent baker and I wouldn't want to bake for the holidays without her at my side.

Here's our current cookie lineup which creates a nice presentation when displayed on a large cookie platter or tiered serving tray. I think it's important to present an array of cookies in a variety of shapes, textures, colors, and tastes. Half the fun of eating cookies is deciding which you want to sample from the plate.

Peanut Butter Kisses
Russian Teacakes (Snowballs)
Gingersnaps
Brownie Butter Cookies (butter cookie base topped with a brownie layer)
Caramel Pecan Cookies (butter cookie base topped with homemade caramel and pecans)
Toffee Bar Cookies
Spritz Cookies
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal

Over the course of the next few weeks I'll be adding these recipes to the blog as well as some new favorites so stay tuned as the cookie baking heats up for the holidays.

1 comment:

  1. I 99% loved this post. There are parts I would have to disagree with as revisionist history, but I will rise above and let it go. I will even retract this comment IF you not only allow me to make the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies, but also NOT complain about it.

    Not sure how many characters I get here...but I have a version of the above story that portrays you as an elitist cookie snob, with "chef control issues."

    But I love our annual weekend, and I can't wait to see you soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete