December 3, 2010

Chocolate Gingersnaps


I normally follow recipes very closely to avoid any surprises at the end. This week for some reason my creativity blossomed and I decided to step out of my comfort zone a bit and try to improve a cookie that I already love. Gingersnaps are one of those classic cookies that just about everyone loves. Perfect for dunking into a cup of hot tea or a glass of milk, the spicy gingersnap belongs in the Cookie Hall of Fame.

At some point while I was measuring out the spices for the cookie I said to my self, "self, what if I add some dutch processed cocoa powder to the dough?" So I did. The result was a nice combination of subtle chocolate mixed with the spice of the ginger and cloves. I diced up some candied ginger and garnished the top of each cookie before popping them in the oven. When the cookies came out of the oven I added some white sanding sugar for a festive touch.

The cookies came out wonderfully, just as I had hoped. They are darker than traditional gingersnaps, but still pack that ginger punch. The candied ginger on top not only looks great, but adds some additional ginger flavor and sweetness to the cookie.

Try these and let me know what you think. Would you add more chocolate? More spices? I'd love for you to add comments below.

This Gingersnaps recipe is from Epicurious.com with my additions noted.

Chocolate Gingersnaps

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter
1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
1 egg
1/4 cup granulated sugar
Candied ginger for garnish, chopped finely

In a large bowl sift together 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and spices. Whisk in brown sugar.
In a small saucepan melt butter and whisk into flour mixture with molasses and egg until combined well. With a wooden spoon, stir in remaining 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour until combined well. Chill dough until firm, at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Roll level tablespoons of dough into balls and in a small bowl roll balls in granulated sugar to coat. Arrange balls about 2 inches apart on baking sheets and gently press each with the bottom of a glass to flatten slightly. Top each cookie with a few pieces of candied ginger pressing down slightly.

Bake 10 - 12 minutes until cookies have puffed slightly. When removed from the oven, cookies will collapse slightly and contain little cracks. While cookies are still hot, sprinkle lightly with white sanding sugar. Cool cookies on sheets for 2 - 3 minutes more and then transfer to cooling racks.

Cookies keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days.

Cookie press rating: 4 cookies (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment