March 2, 2011

Crispy Cocoa-Walnut Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies


Many of you may be wondering where I've been for the last month or so since my last post back in late January. My life has been consumed by the stressful process of moving. Well, not just moving, but the whole real estate buying process in general. Moving in and of itself is stressful. Add that to a city co-op real estate transaction and it's enough to make anyone start taking Xanax. But all that's behind me and all that's left is unpacking a few boxes and deciding where to hang pictures. The fun stuff.

Needless to say, I haven't had much time to bake and I am going through withdrawals. Kind of like Charlie Sheen these days. Frankly, I'm a little scared to bake in my new oven. It's fairly old and so far the temperature dial is only a mere suggestion of what the inside heat might be. I stress the word MIGHT. Last night I made a meatloaf and set the oven for 350 degrees. About 30 minutes in I checked and the oven thermometer inside was 400! Luckily, I have a window next to the oven so when I do burn something I just open the window and wave the smoke out.

A few weeks before the move I made a special treat for Valentine's Day. Crispy Cocoa-Walnut Cookies admirably served as the outer shell enveloping creamy vanilla ice cream. Topped with chocolate sauce, this dessert was a magnificent ending to a merely average dinner.

Feel free to make these any time of the year. Summer would be an ideal time. Or now. How about right now? Who can resist an ice cream cookie sandwich? No one that I know.

The cookie recipe is courtesy of bon appétit's February issue. The ice cream part was my idea. I substituted walnuts for pecans but you can use any nuts. I think hazelnuts would be an excellent choice.


Crispy Cocoa-Pecan (Walnut) Cookies


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder (scooped, then leveled)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/3 cup (lightly packed) brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips

Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Stir butter, brown sugar, sugar, corn syrup, milk, and vanilla in another medium bowl until smooth. Stir in the flour mixture, then nuts. Cover and chill until firm, about 4 hours or overnight.

Position 1 rack in the top third and 1 rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees.

Line 3 large baking sheets with parchment. Measure 2 level tablespoons dough and roll between palms into a ball. Place on prepared baking sheet. Using the palm of your hand, gently press the dough onto the cookie sheet to form a 3-inch diameter disk. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing 5 inches apart.

Bake cookies 8 minutes, reverse sheets. Continue baking until cookies are flat and beginning to darken around the edges, about 10 more minutes. Transfer cookies on parchment paper to rack. Cookies will crisp while they cool.

Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.

Form Ice Cream Sandwiches

Let ice cream soften for 5 minutes or so. Scoop one generous portion of vanilla ice cream onto the bottom of one cookie and then place another cookie on top, pressing gently. Remove any excess ice cream by gently scraping the sides of the cookie with a spatula. Top with melted bittersweet chocolate and serve immediately. Or place on cookie sheet and return sandwiches to the freezer until ice cream has hardened and chocolate has set. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Best eaten within 5 days.

Cookie Press Rating: 4 cookies (out of 5)

1 comment:

  1. I don't care what you say. I don't want to hear about logistics, seasons, or whatever else you might logically protest...

    I'm declaring THIS a Christmas cookie.

    ReplyDelete