March 30, 2011

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies


I used to love Nutter Butters as a kid. When I was allowed to choose a cookie in the supermarket, I almost always chose the peanut-shaped, peanut butter filled, crunchy cookies. I sometimes dipped them into a glass of milk. If I was feeling destructive, I would split them and carefully lick the filling. Other times I would just inhale them and then try to remember what they tasted like. I was pretty normal as a child.

I was wondering if I could recreate these in my own kitchen so I found a recipe for Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies and got right to work.

This recipe makes a nice, softer version of the original Nutter Butter. I didn't bother to try to shape them like a peanut or to make a faux peanut shell on the outside of the cookie. No, I'll leave that to the folks at Nabisco.

Truth be told, these aren't much like Nutter Butters at all. I guess some childhood memories aren't meant to be copied in the kitchen. The next time I'm in the cookie aisle I'll pick up a package, sit myself down at the kitchen table, pour a tall glass of milk and try to relive some childhood memories.

Baker's Tip: Allow at least an hour of freeze time before you try to slice the cookie dough. Reshape the sliced cookies as needed so they retain their rectangular shape. And try not to eat too much dough as you go!

Ready for the Oven














The recipe is from a past issue of Everyday Food, a Martha Stewart production.

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups smooth peanut butter
1 large egg
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar

In a small bowl, whisk together baking soda, salt, and 2 cups flour. Set aside.
I a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and 1 cup of peanut butter until light and fluffy. Bean in egg. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture and beat until just combined.

Form dough into two 8-inch long rectangular logs. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350. With a sharp knife, slice dough 1/4 inch thick and place on baking sheets approximately 1 inch apart. Turn dough and reshape as needed while slicing the cookies so that they retain their shape. Bake until cookies are puffed, about 12 to 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway if baking two at a time.
Transfer to wire racks to cool.

Filling: In a saucepan, whisk milk, and 2 tablespoons flour over medium heat until thickened, about 2 minutes. Let cool. In a mixing bowl, beat together 1/2 cup peanut butter and granulated sugar. Beat in cooled milk mixture.

Assemble Cookies: Spread smooth sides (bottoms) of half the cookies with 1 tablespoon filling. Sandwich with remaining cookies.

These cookies are best eaten within a day or two but will store in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days.

Cookie press rating: 3 cookies (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment