January 30, 2010

Ginger Creams


Icing is the one of the best things ever invented. I think I would even eat lima beans if they were covered with a buttery, sweet, layer of icing. Most of the iced cookies I usually make are basic sugar cutout cookies with a simple icing made with softened butter, confectioners sugar, and milk. When I found a recipe for Ginger Creams in Betty Crocker's Cookie Jar Cookbook, I knew I had to try them.

A side note: my friend and former co-worker Tracey once nicknamed me Tommy Crocker which still makes me smile some fifteen years later when I think about it.

The recipe is quite easy to prepare and is the first cookie recipe I recall that includes water. The only molasses I could find in the store was extra dark. This worked fine, however, if you want the cookie to be lighter brown then use regular molasses. I found the most difficult part of making Ginger Creams to be spooning the dough onto the cookie sheets. The dough was very soft even after being refrigerated for one hour. I recommend refrigerating an hour longer or overnight if you have the time.

Ginger Creams
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup molasses (I used extra dark molasses, but regular will work fine)
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 t ground ginger
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1/2 t ground cloves
1/2 t ground cinnamon

Combine sugar, molasses, water, shortening and egg in a mixing bowl. Beat until combined. Stir in remaining ingredients. Dough will be very moist and sticky. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Drop dough, by teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cook sheet. Bake 8 minutes until no indentation remains when touched lightly. Remove immediately from cookie sheet; cool. Frost with vanilla icing (below).

Vanilla Frosting
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 t vanilla
2 T milk

Mix powdered sugar and butter. Stir in vanilla and milk; beat until smooth and spreadable. If icing is too think, add milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.

Cookie Press Review:

Just one bite of this cookie and I was hooked. The cookie itself is gingerbread-like. The spices are bold, but not overpowering and the icing is the perfect complement to the cakey cookie. Great alone, with a glass of milk, or with a cup of hot tea, these cookies satisfy.

Cookie press rating: four cookies (out of five)



1 comment:

  1. Friday was Day 2 of the great snow blizzard so being home with the boys another day I thought I'd try another one of your cookie recipes. The ginger cream cookies were TO DIE for! This is going on my "must bake" list for next Christmas. They were like frosted gingerbread cookies. They made the whole kitchen smell like Christmas. I loved the way the cookie was soft and cakelike and the creamy frosting put them way over the top on the sugar meter! Nicholas absolutely loved them and finicky Zack thought they were pretty good although he preferred them without the frosting! Thanks for a great snow day activity and keep the recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete