June 2, 2010

Ebelskivers



Occasionally I stray from writing about cookies to bring you something extra special that I know you'll enjoy such as Whoopie Pies. Today is one of those days.

I recently celebrated my birthday and as a present, I received a wonderful surprise from my partner's sister Maureen and husband Jimmy in the form of a circular pan with seven deep wells which is used to make ebelskivers (pronounced "able-skeevers"). These light, puffy, sphere-shaped pancakes are from Denmark. My quizzical expression turned to a big smile as I continued to unwrap the series of items used to make ebelskivers. First the pan, then a cookbook filled with recipes (complete with beautiful photographs). Next I tore the wrapping off the pleasantly shaped fancy wooden turning tools used to flip the spheres. Lastly, I unwrapped a container of ebelskiver mix. I was ready to start cooking up batches of these tasty pancakes with wonderful sweet or savory fillings. If I hadn't been in a restaurant at the time, I just might have begun churning out these tasty treats immediately.

Ebelskivers were traditionally served as snacks or desserts during the holidays but luckily, we can make them at any time of year. And believe me, you'll want to make them a lot.

At the risk of sounding a bit like Forrest Gump, you can make cinnamon ebelskivers, maple-nut ebelskivers, coconut ebelskivers, lemon-poppy seed ebelskivers, iced gingerbread ebelskivers, corn ebelskivers, cherry-almond ebelskivers, jelly donut ebelskivers, banana-rum ebelskivers, chocolate truffle ebelskivers, pumpkin pie ebelskivers, and caramel-pecan ebelskivers. I could go on and on but let's get to it.

The batter is simple to make. If you've ever made pancakes (and who hasn't?) you can easily make ebelskiver batter. You'll need to separate two eggs and beat the whites until they are stiff. Folding them into the batter just before cooking makes the batter very light and results in delicate, puffy spheres. If this sounds like too much work, you can skip it as Rachel Ray did on her show in 2008. Click on the video and see how Rachel does it.

I started simply, with plain Ebelskivers which turned out well for a first try. With a little practice I was flipping them like a pro. I served the pancakes with a dusting of powdered sugar, pure maple syrup, and a side of bacon. They were delicious and I devoured at least ten of them. I recommend you don't bother counting like I did. It only adds to the guilt factor.

The next day I tried chocolate filled versions which were truly decadent when served with fresh strawberries, whipped cream, and bittersweet chocolate drizzled on top.

Basic Batter

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, separated
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks, then whisk in the milk and melted butter. Add the yolk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until blended. Batter will be lumpy.

In a clean bowl using in electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Using a spatula, fold about one-third of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it, then fold in the rest until just blended and no white streaks remain. Use batter as soon as it's ready.

Chocolate Filled Ebelskivers

12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or heatproof bowl placed over a pan of boiling water. You can also use a microwave, being careful not to burn it.

Brush the wells of the pan with melted butter and place over medium heat. When the butter starts to bubble, add about 1 tablespoon of batter to each well. Working quickly, carefully spoon 1 teaspoon of melted chocolate into the center of each pancake. Top each with another tablespoon of batter.

Continue cooking about 3 minutes and using 2 short wooden skewers, gently flip pancakes and continue cooking about 3 minutes longer. Remove from pan and transfer to a preheated 200 degree oven or serve immediately.

Makes 21 pancakes.


Chocolate filled ebelskivers with strawberries, whipped cream, and drizzled bittersweet chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment